I was invited as a guest speaker at a local high school - Bharateeya Vidya Bhavan to talk about software industry. The session was meant for grade 9 and 10 students.
I was in a dilemma as to what can I tell these students. I did not want it to be very technical and wanted it to be informative for them so that it helps them in some way to decide if they want to select software as career.
So I came up with this deck – Sneak Peak in a Software Industry and talked about the following:
- Software industry
- What is software?
- Types of software
- Different career opportunities in Software industry
- What do we look for during recruitment?
- Typical career graph of a software professional
- How do we evaluate our workforce?
- How do you get there? + Few sermons
It was interesting to find out that they were already programming in QBasic, Visual Basic + MS Access and all of them had an email account. Almost 5 % of them had already decided that they want to pursue career in software industry.